Projects per year
Andrew McKune is an Associate Professor in Strength and Conditioning at UC. Prior to taking up this role he held positions in Sport and Exercise Science at Tshwane University of Technology and the University of KwaZulu-Natal. He holds qualifications in sport & exercise science, medical science (physiology), strength and conditioning (CSCS) and a doctoral degree specialising in exercise immunology.
Andrew has published papers in scientific journals, has presented at international conferences and has worked with recreational and elite athletes in a sport science capacity.
- Dysfunctions in the stress-response, inflammation and bioenergetic systems in mental illness: Targets for exercise and nutrition interventions?
- Immune/Inflammatory responses to exercise
- Monitoring disease, health and adaptation to exercise using non-invasive methods e.g. heart rate variability, salivary biomarkers, Ethylene trace gas deterction, skin autofluorescence
- Strategies to reduce severity of and enhance recovery from exercise-induced muscle damage
- Understanding lipolysis in response to exercise and nutrition interventions using the microdialysis technique
Stress-Response and metabolic systems in children living in military and first responder families: Potential targets for individualising exercise treatment of anxiety?
1/01/20 → 31/12/22
31/08/18 → 30/08/20
Cacti as a Potential Functional Food Candidate and a Protective Agent Against Chronic Disease—A Review of LiteratureDaniloski, D., D'Cunha, N., Speer, H. J., Mckune, A., Alexopoulos, N., Panagiotakos, D. B., Trajkovska Petkoska, A. & Naumovski, N., 2021, p. 39-40. 1 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference (non-published works) › AbstractOpen AccessFile
Isbel, S., McKune, A. J., Kellett, J. & Naumovski, N., 6 Oct 2020, In: BMJ Open. 10, 10, p. 1-13 13 p., e040753.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Citation (Scopus)2 Downloads (Pure)
Acute physiological responses following a bout of vigorous exercise in military soldiers and first responders with PTSD: An exploratory pilot studySpeer, K. E., Semple, S. & McKune, A. J., 1 Jan 2020, In: Behavioral Sciences. 10, 2, p. 1-17 17 p., bs10020059.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile7 Downloads (Pure)
McKune, A. J. & Naumovski, N., 28 Apr 2020, In: Antioxidants. 9, 5, p. 1-13 13 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile2 Citations (Scopus)6 Downloads (Pure)
Isbel, S., Davey, R., Mellor, D. D., Kellett, J., McKune, A. J. & Naumovski, N., 6 Feb 2020, In: Rheumatology International. 40, 9, p. 1439-1448 10 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen Access