Projects per year
Darren has published widely on environmental regulation and governance, and on occupational health and safety regulation in the mining industry. His major research contributions are:
1. Regulatory pluralism in an environmental context, in particular, ‘smart regulation’ and instrument choice. He co-authored (with Gunnigham and Grabosky) the international book Smart regulation: Designing environmental policy.
2. ‘Next generation’ environmental regulation, particularly for small and medium sized enterprises and diffuse sources of pollution, such as agriculture. He co-authored (with Gunnigham) the international book Leaders and laggards: Next generation environmental regulation.
3. Regulatory of occupational health and safety in Australian mining. He co-authored (with Gunningham) the book Managing mining hazards: Regulation, safety and trust.
4. Regulation and governance of non-urban water use in the Murray Darling Basin, the United States, Spain and France. In particular, compliance and enforcement, and the relationships between markets, compliance, technology and participatory governance. He has co-edited and co-authored (both with Holley) two international books, Reforming water law and governance: From stagnation to innovation in Australia and Intelligent regulation: Water markets, compliance and technology.
He has been a consultant to government and industry, and produced many policy reports.
He represented Australia at the United Nations International Framework Convention on Climate Change (Geneva 1993 and 1994); and he co-designed the self-regulatory and trading scheme to phase out the use of ozone-depleting gases under Australia’s commitment to the Montreal Protocol.
His current research interests are:
- Water regulation and governance, in particular, compliance and enforcement of non-urban water use and the role of technology in regulating water extractions.
- Regulation and governance of mercury emissions (under the Minamata Convention).
- Prudential regulation, climate change and the finance sector.
- Doctor of Philosophy, The Australian National University.
- Master of Environmental Law, The Australian National University.
- Bachelor of Science (1st Class Honours), University of Sydney.
- 2018-present. Associate Professor and DECRA Research Fellow, Institute for Governance and Policy Analysis (IGPA), University of Canberra.
- 2016-2018. Senior Research Fellow, School of Regulation and Global Governance, The Australian National University.
- 2003-2016. Research Fellow, Fenner School of Environment and Society, Faculty of Science, The Australian National University.
- 1996-2002. Senior Research Associate, Australian Centre for Environmental Law, Faculty of Law, The Australian National University.
- 1991-1996. Assistant Director, Sustainable Development Section, Department of Industry, Science and Tourism, Commonwealth of Australia.
Visiting fellowships and affiliations
- 2018-present. Co-convener of the Australian Mercury Research Project – Australian National University, University of Canberra, UNSW, Macquarie University, University of Melbourne, La Trobe University and University of Wollongong.
- 2018-present. Visiting Fellow at the School of Regulation and Global Governance – The Australian National University.
- 2014-present. Research affiliate of the Connected Waters Initiative (CWI) Research Centre – UNSW.
- 2010-present. Member of the National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training (NCGRT) – The Australian National University, Flinders University, UNSW.
Member of Climate Change Adaptation Resilience and Recovery Network
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Resilience Chapter Lead - Murray-Darling Basin Outlook
Pearson, L., Dare, L., Schirmer, J., Sinclair, D. & Mummery, J.
23/05/23 → 29/02/24
Survey of Australian exports and export service support providers
24/06/21 → 30/09/21
Zero Emissions Vehicle Policy in the ACT
Sinclair, D., Schirmer, J., Tanton, R., Vidyattama, Y. & Mccaffrie, B.
1/09/20 → 30/11/20
Rethinking water governance: non-urban water compliance and enforcement
Sinclair, D., Holley, C., Larson, R. & Rinaudo, J.
1/01/19 → 31/12/21
Regulation and Governance for the Sustainable Management of Groundwater
19/03/17 → 18/03/20
Sustainability of GroundwaterElshall, A. S., Castilla-Rho, J., El-Kadi, A. I., Holley, C., Mutongwizo, T., Sinclair, D. & Ye, M., 1 Jan 2022, Imperiled: The Encyclopedia of Conservation: Volume 1-3. DellaSala, D. A. & Goldstein, M. I. (eds.). Netherlands: Elsevier, Vol. 1-3. p. 157-166 10 p. (Imperiled: The Encyclopedia of Conservation).
Research output: A Conference proceeding or a Chapter in Book › Entry for encyclopedia/dictionary › peer-review
Mercury atmospheric emission, deposition and isotopic fingerprinting from major coal-fired power plants in Australia: Insights from palaeo-environmental analysis from sediment coresSchneider, L., Rose, N. L., Myllyvirta, L., Haberle, S., Lintern, A., Yuan, J., Sinclair, D., Holley, C., Zawadzki, A. & Sun, R., 15 Oct 2021, In: Environmental Pollution. 287, p. 1-11 11 p., 117596.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-review
Assessing environmental contamination from metal emission and relevant regulations in major areas of coal mining and electricity generation in AustraliaSchneider, L., Rose, N. L., Lintern, A., Sinclair, D., Zawadzki, A., Holley, C., Aquino-Lopez, M. A. & Haberle, S., 1 Aug 2020, In: Science of the Total Environment. 728, p. 1-15 15 p., 137398.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Ban on toxic mercury looms in sugar cane farming, but Australia still has a way to goSchneider, L., Holley, C., Sinclair, D. & Haberle, S. G., 22 Jul 2020, The Conversation, 2020, July, p. 1-6 6 p.
Research output: Contribution to Newspaper/Magazine/Bulletin › ArticleOpen AccessFile16 Downloads (Pure)
Development of Groundwater Markets in Australia: Insights from Victoria in the Murray Darling BasinDe Luca, J. & Sinclair, D., 2020, Sustainable Groundwater Management: A Comparative Analysis of French and Australian Policies and Implications to Other Countries. Rinaudo, J-D., Holley, C., Barnett, S. & Montginoul, M. (eds.). Cham: Springer, Vol. 24. p. 385-409 25 p. (Global Issues in Water Policy; vol. 24).
Research output: A Conference proceeding or a Chapter in Book › Chapter › peer-review