Projects per year
Dr Selen Ercan is an Associate Professor of Politics at the Centre for Deliberative Democracy and Global Governance, University of Canberra. Her work sits at the intersection of normative democratic theory and empirical political research, and examines a wide range of topics including the politics of inclusion and exclusion in multicultural societies, the prospects for public deliberation in the face of value conflicts and polarised public debates, and the potential of new forms of political participation and protest movements in reviving democratic practice.
Selen’s recent book, Mending Democracy. Democratic Repair in Disconnected Times (2020, Oxford University Press, with Hendriks and Boswell) examines how everyday citizens, community groups, politicians and public administrators respond to the crisis of representative democracy, and offer novel ways of reimagining and reforming it.
Selen has published over 30 articles and book chapters on deliberative democracy, social movements, multiculturalism, and research methods in Social Sciences. Her publications have appeared in various journals including: International Political Science Review, Policy and Politics, Australian Journal of Political Science, Environmental Politics, Social Movement Studies, and Critical Policy Studies. Two of her articles won the best paper prize of the journal, Policy and Politics in 2017 and 2019.
Selen holds a BA in Political Science and Public Administration (METU, Turkey), a MA in Political Science and Sociology (University of Heidelberg, Germany), and a PhD in Political Science (Australian National University).
She has held research positions at the Mannheim Centre for European Social Research (Germany), Australian National University; as well as visiting research and teaching positions in the Political Science programs of the Federal University of Minas Gerais (Brazil), Nagoya University (Japan) and Stuttgart University (Germany).
Currently, Selen is serving as:
- Co-Chair of the Participatory Governance cluster of the global research project, Participedia.
- Co-Convener of the European Consortium fof Political Research (ECPR) Standing Group, Theoretical Perspectives to Policy Analysis,
- Associate Editor of the interdisciplinary journal, Democratic Theory.
Current Projects & Grants
- Chief Investigator (2021-2024) Democratic Resilience. The Public Sphere and Extremist Attacks. Discovery Project, funded by the Australian Research Council ($511,000)
- Chief Investigator (2021-2024) Monitoring Deliberative Integrity in Australia. Special Research Initiative Grant, funded by the Australian Research Council ($202,106).
- Chief Investigator (2020-Present) Connecting to Parliament, funded by the University of Ohio, Institute for Democratic Engagement and Accountability (USA).
- Co-investigator (2020-22) Deliberative democray in the face of democratic crisis: contributions, dilemmas and ways forward. Brazilian National Council for Scientific and Technological Development Research Grant ($15,000)
- Co-investigator (2017-Present ) Participedia Project, funded by Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (Canada)
PhD Students (current & completed)
- Jane Alver (Primary Supervisor)
- Sahana Sehgal (Primary Supervisor, starting in July 2021)
- Madeleine Egan (Secondary Supervisor)
- Anne N. Jedzini (Secondary Supervisor, starting in July 2021)
- Dianne Phillips (Secondary Supervisor)
- Friedel Marquardt (Advisor)
- Kei Nishiyama (Secondary Supervisor, completed)
- Samuel Antero (Secondary Supervisor, completed)
- Thaneshwar Bhusal (Advisor, completed)
- Catherine Clutton (Secondary Supervisor, completed)
- Emma Vines (Secondary Supervisor, completed)
- Cletius Puteho (Primary Supervisor, completed)
2/01/17 → 31/12/18
12/03/15 → 31/12/17
Recipes for democratic participation during the pandemic: From anti-lockdown protest to a participatory systemParry, L. J., Asenbaum, H. & A. Ercan, S., 15 Mar 2021, Agora: Space for Ideas & Debate, p. 1-9 9 p.
Research output: Contribution to Newspaper/Magazine/Bulletin › ArticleOpen AccessFile
Curato, N., Sass, J., Ercan, S. A. & Niemeyer, S., 2020, In: International Political Science Review. p. 1-12 12 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review article › peer-review
Ayirtman Ercan, S. & Gagnon, J-P., Oct 2020, In: Democratic Theory. 7, 2, p. 5-19 15 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › EditorialOpen Access
Asenbaum, H. & Ercan, S. A., 2020, In: Transforming Government: People, Process and Policy. p. 1-9 9 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Five Lessons for Democracy From the Covid-19 Pandemic: An international evaluation of democracy in crisesGagnon, J-P., Dean, R. J., Afsahi, A., Beausoleil, E. & A. Ercan, S., 29 Oct 2020, Public Seminar, p. 1-7 7 p.
Research output: Contribution to Newspaper/Magazine/Bulletin › ArticleOpen AccessFile4 Downloads (Pure)