Arsenic Species in a Rocky Intertidal marine food chain in NSW, Australia, revisited

Simon Foster, Bill Maher, Ernst Schmeisser, Simon Apte, Anne Taylor, Frank Krikowa

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

    36 Citations (Scopus)

    Abstract

    The present study reports total arsenic and arsenic species in a short rocky intertidal marine food chain in NSW, Australia. Total mean arsenic concentrations increased up the food chain in the following order: 4 ± 2 μg g?1 in attached rock microalgae, 31 ± 14 μg g ?1 in Bembicium nanum Lamarck, 45 ± 14 μg g?1 in Cellana tramoserica Sowerby, 58 ± 14 μg g?1 in Nerita atramentosa Reeve, 75 ± 15 μg g?1 in Austrocochlea constrica Lamarck (a herbivore) and 476 ± 285 μg g?1 in the carnivore Morula marginalba Blainville. Significant differences in arsenic concentrations of B. nanum, N. atramentosa and M. marginalba were found among locations and may be related to food availability, spawning or differences in age and/or size classes of individuals. Significant differences in arsenic concentrations were also found within locations among species, and increased in the order: rock microalgae < B. nanum < C. tramoserica < N. atramentosa < A. constricta < M. marginalba. Although small differences in total arsenic concentrations were found among locations for some gastropod species, arsenic species proportions were very consistent within gastropod species across locations. The majority of arsenic in Homosira banksii (macroalgae) was oxo-arsenoribosides, with thio-arsenoribosides making up ∼10% of the total methanol?water extractable arsenic. The rock microalgae contained arsenobetaine (AB) (59 ± 5%) and arsenoribosides (36 ± 15%). The AB content of the herbivores B. nanum, N. atramentosa and A. constricta ranged from 71 to 95%, and that of the carnivore M. marginalba was 98%. Most gastropods contained thio-arsenosugars (up to 13 ± 3% of total extractable arsenic), with C. tramoserica containing higher proportions of thio-phosphate arsenoriboside (7 ± 2%) and lower proportions of AB (69 ± 4%). Glycerol trimethylarsonioribosides (1.4 ± 0.1%) were also found in most of the herbivorous gastropods. Oxo-dimethylarsinoylethanol (oxo-DMAE) was found in N. atramentosa (<1%)
    Original languageEnglish
    Pages (from-to)304-315
    Number of pages12
    JournalEnvironmental Chemistry
    Volume3
    Issue number4
    DOIs
    Publication statusPublished - 2006

    Fingerprint

    Arsenic
    food chain
    arsenic
    gastropod
    Rocks
    carnivore
    herbivore
    rock
    food availability
    Glycerol
    Methanol
    methanol
    spawning
    Phosphates
    phosphate
    Availability
    Water

    Cite this

    @article{731626e55ee94eb9921271da6ddfb5e6,
    title = "Arsenic Species in a Rocky Intertidal marine food chain in NSW, Australia, revisited",
    abstract = "The present study reports total arsenic and arsenic species in a short rocky intertidal marine food chain in NSW, Australia. Total mean arsenic concentrations increased up the food chain in the following order: 4 ± 2 μg g?1 in attached rock microalgae, 31 ± 14 μg g ?1 in Bembicium nanum Lamarck, 45 ± 14 μg g?1 in Cellana tramoserica Sowerby, 58 ± 14 μg g?1 in Nerita atramentosa Reeve, 75 ± 15 μg g?1 in Austrocochlea constrica Lamarck (a herbivore) and 476 ± 285 μg g?1 in the carnivore Morula marginalba Blainville. Significant differences in arsenic concentrations of B. nanum, N. atramentosa and M. marginalba were found among locations and may be related to food availability, spawning or differences in age and/or size classes of individuals. Significant differences in arsenic concentrations were also found within locations among species, and increased in the order: rock microalgae < B. nanum < C. tramoserica < N. atramentosa < A. constricta < M. marginalba. Although small differences in total arsenic concentrations were found among locations for some gastropod species, arsenic species proportions were very consistent within gastropod species across locations. The majority of arsenic in Homosira banksii (macroalgae) was oxo-arsenoribosides, with thio-arsenoribosides making up ∼10{\%} of the total methanol?water extractable arsenic. The rock microalgae contained arsenobetaine (AB) (59 ± 5{\%}) and arsenoribosides (36 ± 15{\%}). The AB content of the herbivores B. nanum, N. atramentosa and A. constricta ranged from 71 to 95{\%}, and that of the carnivore M. marginalba was 98{\%}. Most gastropods contained thio-arsenosugars (up to 13 ± 3{\%} of total extractable arsenic), with C. tramoserica containing higher proportions of thio-phosphate arsenoriboside (7 ± 2{\%}) and lower proportions of AB (69 ± 4{\%}). Glycerol trimethylarsonioribosides (1.4 ± 0.1{\%}) were also found in most of the herbivorous gastropods. Oxo-dimethylarsinoylethanol (oxo-DMAE) was found in N. atramentosa (<1{\%})",
    author = "Simon Foster and Bill Maher and Ernst Schmeisser and Simon Apte and Anne Taylor and Frank Krikowa",
    year = "2006",
    doi = "10.1071/EN06026",
    language = "English",
    volume = "3",
    pages = "304--315",
    journal = "Environmental Chemistry",
    issn = "1448-2517",
    publisher = "CSIRO",
    number = "4",

    }

    Arsenic Species in a Rocky Intertidal marine food chain in NSW, Australia, revisited. / Foster, Simon; Maher, Bill; Schmeisser, Ernst; Apte, Simon; Taylor, Anne; Krikowa, Frank.

    In: Environmental Chemistry, Vol. 3, No. 4, 2006, p. 304-315.

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

    TY - JOUR

    T1 - Arsenic Species in a Rocky Intertidal marine food chain in NSW, Australia, revisited

    AU - Foster, Simon

    AU - Maher, Bill

    AU - Schmeisser, Ernst

    AU - Apte, Simon

    AU - Taylor, Anne

    AU - Krikowa, Frank

    PY - 2006

    Y1 - 2006

    N2 - The present study reports total arsenic and arsenic species in a short rocky intertidal marine food chain in NSW, Australia. Total mean arsenic concentrations increased up the food chain in the following order: 4 ± 2 μg g?1 in attached rock microalgae, 31 ± 14 μg g ?1 in Bembicium nanum Lamarck, 45 ± 14 μg g?1 in Cellana tramoserica Sowerby, 58 ± 14 μg g?1 in Nerita atramentosa Reeve, 75 ± 15 μg g?1 in Austrocochlea constrica Lamarck (a herbivore) and 476 ± 285 μg g?1 in the carnivore Morula marginalba Blainville. Significant differences in arsenic concentrations of B. nanum, N. atramentosa and M. marginalba were found among locations and may be related to food availability, spawning or differences in age and/or size classes of individuals. Significant differences in arsenic concentrations were also found within locations among species, and increased in the order: rock microalgae < B. nanum < C. tramoserica < N. atramentosa < A. constricta < M. marginalba. Although small differences in total arsenic concentrations were found among locations for some gastropod species, arsenic species proportions were very consistent within gastropod species across locations. The majority of arsenic in Homosira banksii (macroalgae) was oxo-arsenoribosides, with thio-arsenoribosides making up ∼10% of the total methanol?water extractable arsenic. The rock microalgae contained arsenobetaine (AB) (59 ± 5%) and arsenoribosides (36 ± 15%). The AB content of the herbivores B. nanum, N. atramentosa and A. constricta ranged from 71 to 95%, and that of the carnivore M. marginalba was 98%. Most gastropods contained thio-arsenosugars (up to 13 ± 3% of total extractable arsenic), with C. tramoserica containing higher proportions of thio-phosphate arsenoriboside (7 ± 2%) and lower proportions of AB (69 ± 4%). Glycerol trimethylarsonioribosides (1.4 ± 0.1%) were also found in most of the herbivorous gastropods. Oxo-dimethylarsinoylethanol (oxo-DMAE) was found in N. atramentosa (<1%)

    AB - The present study reports total arsenic and arsenic species in a short rocky intertidal marine food chain in NSW, Australia. Total mean arsenic concentrations increased up the food chain in the following order: 4 ± 2 μg g?1 in attached rock microalgae, 31 ± 14 μg g ?1 in Bembicium nanum Lamarck, 45 ± 14 μg g?1 in Cellana tramoserica Sowerby, 58 ± 14 μg g?1 in Nerita atramentosa Reeve, 75 ± 15 μg g?1 in Austrocochlea constrica Lamarck (a herbivore) and 476 ± 285 μg g?1 in the carnivore Morula marginalba Blainville. Significant differences in arsenic concentrations of B. nanum, N. atramentosa and M. marginalba were found among locations and may be related to food availability, spawning or differences in age and/or size classes of individuals. Significant differences in arsenic concentrations were also found within locations among species, and increased in the order: rock microalgae < B. nanum < C. tramoserica < N. atramentosa < A. constricta < M. marginalba. Although small differences in total arsenic concentrations were found among locations for some gastropod species, arsenic species proportions were very consistent within gastropod species across locations. The majority of arsenic in Homosira banksii (macroalgae) was oxo-arsenoribosides, with thio-arsenoribosides making up ∼10% of the total methanol?water extractable arsenic. The rock microalgae contained arsenobetaine (AB) (59 ± 5%) and arsenoribosides (36 ± 15%). The AB content of the herbivores B. nanum, N. atramentosa and A. constricta ranged from 71 to 95%, and that of the carnivore M. marginalba was 98%. Most gastropods contained thio-arsenosugars (up to 13 ± 3% of total extractable arsenic), with C. tramoserica containing higher proportions of thio-phosphate arsenoriboside (7 ± 2%) and lower proportions of AB (69 ± 4%). Glycerol trimethylarsonioribosides (1.4 ± 0.1%) were also found in most of the herbivorous gastropods. Oxo-dimethylarsinoylethanol (oxo-DMAE) was found in N. atramentosa (<1%)

    U2 - 10.1071/EN06026

    DO - 10.1071/EN06026

    M3 - Article

    VL - 3

    SP - 304

    EP - 315

    JO - Environmental Chemistry

    JF - Environmental Chemistry

    SN - 1448-2517

    IS - 4

    ER -