In-season monitoring of hip and groin strength, health and function in elite youth soccer

Implementing an early detection and management strategy over two consecutive seasons

Martin Wollin, Kristian Thorborg, Marijke Welvaert, Tania Pizzari

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

4 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Objectives: The primary purpose of this study was to describe an early detection and management strategy when monitoring in-season hip and groin strength, health and function in soccer. Secondly to compare pre-season to in-season test results. Design: Longitudinal cohort study. Methods: Twenty-seven elite male youth soccer players (age: 15.07 ± 0.73 years) volunteered to participate in the study. Monitoring tests included: adductor strength, adductor/abductor strength ratio and hip and groin outcome scores (HAGOS). Data were recorded at pre-season and at 22 monthly intervals in-season. Thresholds for alerts to initiate further investigations were defined as any of the following: adductor strength reductions >15%, adductor/abductor strength ratio <0.90, and HAGOS subscale scores <75 out of 100 in any of the six subscales. Results: Overall, 105 alerts were detected involving 70% of players. Strength related alerts comprised 40% and remaining 60% of alerts were related to HAGOS. Hip adductor strength and adductor/abductor strength ratio were lowest at pre-season testing and had increased significantly by month two (p < 0.01, mean difference 0.26, CI95%: 0.12, 0.41 N/kg and p < 0.01, mean difference 0.09, CI95%: 0.04, 0.13 respectively). HAGOS subscale scores were lowest at baseline with all, except Physical Activity, showing significant improvements at time-point one (p < 0.01). Most (87%) time-loss were classified minimal or mild. Conclusions: In-season monitoring aimed at early detection and management of hip and groin strength, health and function appears promising. Hip and groin strength, health and function improved quickly from pre-season to in-season in a high-risk population for ongoing hip and groin problems.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)988-993
Number of pages6
JournalJournal of Science and Medicine in Sport
Volume21
Issue number10
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Oct 2018

Fingerprint

Soccer
Groin
Hip
Health
Longitudinal Studies
Cohort Studies
Exercise

Cite this

@article{515990140ab441b1beb2b11b0223c472,
title = "In-season monitoring of hip and groin strength, health and function in elite youth soccer: Implementing an early detection and management strategy over two consecutive seasons",
abstract = "Objectives: The primary purpose of this study was to describe an early detection and management strategy when monitoring in-season hip and groin strength, health and function in soccer. Secondly to compare pre-season to in-season test results. Design: Longitudinal cohort study. Methods: Twenty-seven elite male youth soccer players (age: 15.07 ± 0.73 years) volunteered to participate in the study. Monitoring tests included: adductor strength, adductor/abductor strength ratio and hip and groin outcome scores (HAGOS). Data were recorded at pre-season and at 22 monthly intervals in-season. Thresholds for alerts to initiate further investigations were defined as any of the following: adductor strength reductions >15{\%}, adductor/abductor strength ratio <0.90, and HAGOS subscale scores <75 out of 100 in any of the six subscales. Results: Overall, 105 alerts were detected involving 70{\%} of players. Strength related alerts comprised 40{\%} and remaining 60{\%} of alerts were related to HAGOS. Hip adductor strength and adductor/abductor strength ratio were lowest at pre-season testing and had increased significantly by month two (p < 0.01, mean difference 0.26, CI95{\%}: 0.12, 0.41 N/kg and p < 0.01, mean difference 0.09, CI95{\%}: 0.04, 0.13 respectively). HAGOS subscale scores were lowest at baseline with all, except Physical Activity, showing significant improvements at time-point one (p < 0.01). Most (87{\%}) time-loss were classified minimal or mild. Conclusions: In-season monitoring aimed at early detection and management of hip and groin strength, health and function appears promising. Hip and groin strength, health and function improved quickly from pre-season to in-season in a high-risk population for ongoing hip and groin problems.",
keywords = "Athlete monitoring, Football, Injury, Prevention",
author = "Martin Wollin and Kristian Thorborg and Marijke Welvaert and Tania Pizzari",
year = "2018",
month = "10",
doi = "10.1016/j.jsams.2018.03.004",
language = "English",
volume = "21",
pages = "988--993",
journal = "Australian Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport",
issn = "1440-2440",
publisher = "Elsevier",
number = "10",

}

In-season monitoring of hip and groin strength, health and function in elite youth soccer : Implementing an early detection and management strategy over two consecutive seasons. / Wollin, Martin; Thorborg, Kristian; Welvaert, Marijke; Pizzari, Tania.

In: Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, Vol. 21, No. 10, 10.2018, p. 988-993.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - In-season monitoring of hip and groin strength, health and function in elite youth soccer

T2 - Implementing an early detection and management strategy over two consecutive seasons

AU - Wollin, Martin

AU - Thorborg, Kristian

AU - Welvaert, Marijke

AU - Pizzari, Tania

PY - 2018/10

Y1 - 2018/10

N2 - Objectives: The primary purpose of this study was to describe an early detection and management strategy when monitoring in-season hip and groin strength, health and function in soccer. Secondly to compare pre-season to in-season test results. Design: Longitudinal cohort study. Methods: Twenty-seven elite male youth soccer players (age: 15.07 ± 0.73 years) volunteered to participate in the study. Monitoring tests included: adductor strength, adductor/abductor strength ratio and hip and groin outcome scores (HAGOS). Data were recorded at pre-season and at 22 monthly intervals in-season. Thresholds for alerts to initiate further investigations were defined as any of the following: adductor strength reductions >15%, adductor/abductor strength ratio <0.90, and HAGOS subscale scores <75 out of 100 in any of the six subscales. Results: Overall, 105 alerts were detected involving 70% of players. Strength related alerts comprised 40% and remaining 60% of alerts were related to HAGOS. Hip adductor strength and adductor/abductor strength ratio were lowest at pre-season testing and had increased significantly by month two (p < 0.01, mean difference 0.26, CI95%: 0.12, 0.41 N/kg and p < 0.01, mean difference 0.09, CI95%: 0.04, 0.13 respectively). HAGOS subscale scores were lowest at baseline with all, except Physical Activity, showing significant improvements at time-point one (p < 0.01). Most (87%) time-loss were classified minimal or mild. Conclusions: In-season monitoring aimed at early detection and management of hip and groin strength, health and function appears promising. Hip and groin strength, health and function improved quickly from pre-season to in-season in a high-risk population for ongoing hip and groin problems.

AB - Objectives: The primary purpose of this study was to describe an early detection and management strategy when monitoring in-season hip and groin strength, health and function in soccer. Secondly to compare pre-season to in-season test results. Design: Longitudinal cohort study. Methods: Twenty-seven elite male youth soccer players (age: 15.07 ± 0.73 years) volunteered to participate in the study. Monitoring tests included: adductor strength, adductor/abductor strength ratio and hip and groin outcome scores (HAGOS). Data were recorded at pre-season and at 22 monthly intervals in-season. Thresholds for alerts to initiate further investigations were defined as any of the following: adductor strength reductions >15%, adductor/abductor strength ratio <0.90, and HAGOS subscale scores <75 out of 100 in any of the six subscales. Results: Overall, 105 alerts were detected involving 70% of players. Strength related alerts comprised 40% and remaining 60% of alerts were related to HAGOS. Hip adductor strength and adductor/abductor strength ratio were lowest at pre-season testing and had increased significantly by month two (p < 0.01, mean difference 0.26, CI95%: 0.12, 0.41 N/kg and p < 0.01, mean difference 0.09, CI95%: 0.04, 0.13 respectively). HAGOS subscale scores were lowest at baseline with all, except Physical Activity, showing significant improvements at time-point one (p < 0.01). Most (87%) time-loss were classified minimal or mild. Conclusions: In-season monitoring aimed at early detection and management of hip and groin strength, health and function appears promising. Hip and groin strength, health and function improved quickly from pre-season to in-season in a high-risk population for ongoing hip and groin problems.

KW - Athlete monitoring

KW - Football

KW - Injury

KW - Prevention

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85043995067&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.mendeley.com/research/inseason-monitoring-hip-groin-strength-health-function-elite-youth-soccer-implementing-early-detecti

U2 - 10.1016/j.jsams.2018.03.004

DO - 10.1016/j.jsams.2018.03.004

M3 - Article

VL - 21

SP - 988

EP - 993

JO - Australian Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport

JF - Australian Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport

SN - 1440-2440

IS - 10

ER -